Monday, December 29, 2014

A double dip - getting down to crunch time!

Whoa, there's only three days until 2015! When did that happen? Well since we're running out of time let's double dip today - presenting number 7 and 6 in our top 14 moments.

But first, a recap of course:

14: Team Titleist takes the Four-Ball
13: Dave Houghton proves that age is just a number
12: Colin Brennan's auspicious professional debut
11: A marathon playoff at the Senior Four-Ball
10: Two unbeatable families
9: Graham DeLaet joins our juniors for an ice bath
8: Jack O'Donnell's playoff bomb


With number 7 we'll stay with the Juniors. 2014 marked the centennial year of the Massachusetts Junior Amateur Championship [click here for Junior Am history] and the championship's final round did not disappoint. Matt Naumec came into the final round 5 strokes off the lead but was able to take the title with a blistering back-9.

Concord, MA — One hundred years ago, the Massachusetts Golf Association introduced a special event in order to give youngsters “their day”.
On Wednesday under perfect conditions at Nashawtuc Country Club, Matthew Naumec (CC of Wilbraham) enjoyed hisday by capturing the 2014 Massachusetts Junior Amateur Championship. It marks the first MGA Championship title for the 17 year old from Wilbraham.
“This morning I was looking at the board and saw the list of the past champions,” said Naumec. “I said to myself that it would be sweet to have my name up there and it came true.”
Today’s performance was especially meaningful for Naumec who just one year ago finished second overall. This time around, Naumec entered the final round five strokes back of the leader, but capped off a stunning come-from-behind win by playing his final five holes at 3-under par.
“I knew coming into this back nine that it was gettable,” said Naumec, who finished with a third-round score of 2-under par 70. “I knew I needed to make one or two birdies and I was able to do that.”
Naumec began his run to the top of leaderboard by reaching the 502-yard, par 5 14th hole in two and two putting for par. On the very next hole, he pulled his drive but – like most champions – enjoyed a fortuitous bounce off a tree. He took advantage of Lady Luck and knocked his approach to 20 feet and made that birdie putt.
He would go on to lip out for birdie on the 16th hole from 10 feet and then make a key par on 17 which set the stage for a dramatic finish on the 505-yard, par 5 18th hole… a hole where Naumec had made birdie twice before.
“I reached it in two yesterday and felt comfortable there all week,” said Naumec. “I heard it was a hard hole but I tried to attack it.”
Although his drive sailed right, Naumec set himself up for an 80-yard approach from the fairway. His third shot landed six feet from the hole. With friends and family gathered around the perched green, Naumec sank the putt.

We will celebrate the BC-bound Naumec next week at our Salute to Champions Dinner - not only did he win the Junior Amateur, but he was also named the 2014 Junior Player of the Year.

------------------
Number 6 brings us to another MGA championship - the Mid-Amateur at Blue Hill Country Club, and a final stretch that was exciting, to say the least.

Herbie Aikens entered the final round at Blue Hill with a three-stroke lead over Ben Spitz - but Ben wasn't going down so easily! As the pair approached the 16th tee, Spitz had pulled ahead by one stroke. But a bogey on 16 followed by an Aikens birdie on 17 was making everyone sweat as the duo teed off on 18...and things got even more interesting when this happened:





















But Ben was unable to capitalize, while Herbie made an incredible 5 to secure his second MGA Championship of the season! 


The road to the winner’s circle was not an easy one as Aikens had to fend off a challenge by Ben Spitz (George Wright GC), who entered the final round three strokes back but managed to pull ahead by one stroke with just three holes remaining.
“This one was really nerve wracking,” said Aikens. “I haven’t won a lot of individual titles so I had never been in a situation where I had a three shot lead. I tried to make sure that I didn’t play differently, but I did and I got a little nervous and my putting left me for a while… and Ben was playing awesome and putting on the pressure on top of it, so it was definitely a mental battle out there.”
Aikens won the battle of the minds down the stretch.
Spitz missed the green on the 16th hole to the left and then pushed his six-foot par putt past the hole. Aikens then made his third birdie of the day on the 17th hole thanks to a wedge approach that landed three feet from the hole.
“I knew we were even and I had been feeling like oil was leaking all over the place and the wheels were falling off,” said Aikens. “I pulled my focus together and hit a really good shot off the tee and then felt really good about the wedge. Even though it was in between yardage for whatever reason it felt good.”
Nerves returned on the 18th tee as Aikens hooked his drive into a native area. His punch-out shot rolled into the heavy rough, which opened the door of opportunity for Spitz who found the middle of the fairway with his drive.
Spitz was unable to capitalize. His approach landed in the greenside bunker and his third shot rolled 20 feet past the hole. Aikens, meanwhile, hit a phenomenal approach to 30 feet right of the hole.
“I almost made a big mistake on 18 but that was probably one of the best 5s I have ever made in my life,” said Aikens, who secured the victory after both players two putted for par. “I was in some real, real bad stuff and I was lucky to get a club on it. Then I got buried in the rough and to even get it on the green was pretty good, so I was happy with how I finished.”

Tomorrow we'll bring you numbers 5 and 4 - we have a feeling Herbie Aikens will make another appearance in this countdown somewhere...

Have a great Monday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment